When you are looking to replace your old roof, you may want a material that is more sustainable than your previous roof. Your roof is the ultimate line of defense against the elements and plays a part in the heating and cooling of your home. When you are looking for sustainable materials to protect against the weather and keep your energy bills low, you want to consider the following:
- Recycled materials: When looking into new material for your roof, check to see if your material of choice contains recycled elements. Ideally, you want a roof that has a high percentage of recycled materials but is also at the durability level needed for your protection. You should also check to see if your roof could be recycled again after its lifetime.
- Coating: Copper and zinc coatings should be avoided, as it can wash into water sources and be dangerous to local aquatic life. This is especially important if you have a pond on your property.
- Maintenance: The last thing you want is a roof that requires a lot of money and time to maintain. Make sure your preferred material is durable, and the products necessary for maintenance are non-toxic.
- Weight of the roof: Though the heaviest roof may, in theory, seem like the best option for durability, it can be detrimental if your house cannot support the weight.
- Slope: Be aware of the slope of your home, as some materials tend to work better for flat, low-slope, and high-slope roofs.
- Color: If you live in a warmer area, you want to choose a material that is light in color. This will help bounce more of the sun’s rays away from your home, keeping it cooler during those hot days.
For more information on sustainable roofing materials, contact EZ Home Solutions LLC today at (314) 665-1860. As one of the best roofing companies in St. Charles, MO, we will help you find the perfect roofing material that meets all of your wants and needs.