When you are looking to replace your old roof, you may want a material that is more sustainable than your previous roof. Your roof is the ultimate line of defense against the elements and plays a part in the heating and cooling of your home. When you are looking for sustainable materials to protect against the weather and keep your energy bills low, you want to consider the following:
- Recycled materials: When looking into new material for your roof, check to see if your material of choice contains recycled elements. Ideally, you want a roof that has a high percentage of recycled materials but is also at the durability level needed for your protection. You should also check to see if your roof could be recycled again after its lifetime.
- Coating: Copper and zinc coatings should be avoided, as it can wash into water sources and be dangerous to local aquatic life. This is especially important if you have a pond on your property.
- Maintenance: The last thing you want is a roof that requires a lot of money and time to maintain. Make sure your preferred material is durable, and the products necessary for maintenance are non-toxic.
- Weight of the roof: Though the heaviest roof may, in theory, seem like the best option for durability, it can be detrimental if your house cannot support the weight.
- Slope: Be aware of the slope of your home, as some materials tend to work better for flat, low-slope, and high-slope roofs.
- Color: If you live in a warmer area, you want to choose a material that is light in color. This will help bounce more of the sun’s rays away from your home, keeping it cooler during those hot days.
For more information on sustainable roofing materials, contact EZ Home Solutions LLC today at (314) 665-1860. As one of the best roofing companies in St. Charles, MO, we will help you find the perfect roofing material that meets all of your wants and needs.
If you have a home with an asphalt shingle roof, you are well aware of how durable and affordable this particular material is. Though we always recommend contacting one of your local roofing companies in St. Charles, MO, for repairs, there are a few ways you can temporarily fix up your asphalt shingle roof in a moment’s notice.
How to Fix Curled Asphalt Shingles: Over time, your shingles may begin to curl up or down. This can be a result of improper installation, age, or external conditions. You can temporarily glue the shingle down with a bituminous roof sealant, but this type of damage will require a roof replacement down the line.
How to Fix Cracked Shingles: Harsh weather conditions, age, and regular wear can cause your shingles to crack. Fortunately, this issue does not always require a full replacement. Provided that the problem is not too extensive, you can get much more life out of your roof by putting some sealant underneath the crack.
How to Fix Missing Shingles: Missing shingles will need to be replaced, and if your roof is still under warranty you may want to consult the professionals before attempting to do it yourself. If there doesn’t appear to be an underlying issue where the shingles fell off, you can easily replace them with new ones for a quick fix.
Though roofing may not be the most exciting home renovation project, it is essential to the security and stability of your home. There are so many different roofing material options available, that it can be challenging to determine which is most suitable for your home. Below are some basic roofing materials that can look great for nearly any type of home.
Composite/Asphalt Shingles: Composite shingles are the most popular type of roofing material available. These shingles are made from a fiberglass mat and then topped with asphalt and mineral granules. This material is perfect for nearly any home and is easy to maintain/repair when needed.
Metal: Metal roofs are a fantastic choice for homeowners. Not only do they provide an industrial, cool look, but they are also fire resistant, offer good resale value, and are unappealing to wood-boring insects like termites.
Slate Shingles: A slate roof is a beautiful option that gives the appearance of stone. Though it can require consistent maintenance, the right roofing companies in St. Charles, MO will be able to install and maintain this material properly.
EZ Home Solutions LLC is one of the best roofing companies in St. Charles, MO. We offer exceptional installation and repair services for a large variety of roofing materials. If you are interested in having a new roof installed on your home, contact us today at (314) 665-1860.